Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I've become friends with someone recently, and he always corrects my mispronunciation of words. Is this wrong?

It annoys the crap out of me. I tried to ignore it at first, because I understood how it could be helpful. However, today it went to the point of condescension. This is when I made him aware of how it pissed me off, and he acted apologetic. If this happens in the future, which it probably will, what shall I do to circumvent any confrontations? This person is normally very affable, other than this one quirk.I've become friends with someone recently, and he always corrects my mispronunciation of words. Is this wrong?
This could be your flaw or your friend's flaw.


But he probably corrects your pronounciation because he sees it as a way of:


a) Helping you.


b) It annoys him that your pronounciation is incorrect.


c) He likes correcting people.





If you pronounciation is incorrect and know it, just put in your best efforts to correct it.


As annoying as it is that he is correcting you, you might benefit from it.





There is no such thing as a perfect friend; but if this is one of the minor flaws, you probably should just shake it off. Sometimes it's just better to admit that change is needed in your pronounciation.


It sounds like a small flaw to me; is it really worth losing over a friend?





He might be offending you, and if that's the case you must confront him. But he generally sounds sincere. But put in an effort to pronounce things correctly too.





If it happens again, just remind him. As long as he is honestly trying not to annoy you, I think forgiving him is appropriate.I've become friends with someone recently, and he always corrects my mispronunciation of words. Is this wrong?
All the answers given have a point; but no one mentioned that regardless of how a person speaks, it is rude to correct anyone's vocabulary. Unless, of course, the person with the bad vocabulary asks to be corrected. Otherwise is bad manners. Or at least that's what I was taught.
correct him, or tease him for using ';big words'; all the time. don't let him get the best of you. he is just nit picking your flaws, so do it back, see how he likes it.
hey i keep correcting my friend when ever he pronounces a word wrongly.And he takes it easily and corrects himself.I don't do this just to find out flaws dear.I do it because i feel if at all on any day amidst many people he makes a mistake in pronunciation then people will have a low opinion on him and how will i wish or like to see my friend being in such an embarassing situation.Many people will be pointing at his mistake in public and i don't want such things to happen for my friend.I feel it's in us as to how we will perceive others attitude.I hope u got my point.All i can say is just imagine yourself in party or any massive occasion where u pronounce a word wrongly and everyone is having a weird look their face as their response.Does'nt this hurt you dear.Would'nt u think someone should have corrected u earlier in private.So just take things positively.U just thank him for not correcting u sarcastically.
Learn to pronounce your words properly or stop using big words you can not pronounce.
yea yea yea OMG I F N Hate people that try.........try to do this to me!! It's almost as bad as someone slopping their food in their mouth!!! LOL!! Don't ignore it, because this could be the beginning of a very bad relationship. You want to be with people who make you laugh all the time. You know what I mean!! Good luck!
If I were you I'd stop being his friend, he's begining to


sound like a real pain, and if he was a true friend he would


not correct you [which then is an embarrasment to you]
I see why he corrects you by your vocabulary. Stop using big words if you can't pronounce them.
He's probaly just trying to help you. I sometimes correct a co-worker who is from another country and she is fine with it. She makes a note of it and learns the proper pronunciation.


It's not fair but we are judged by our vocabulary, and your friend is just trying to look out for you.
He is trying to help you to be a person that others will respect. When people hear someone speaking incorrectly, they tend to give that person less credibility. You should appreciate his concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment